How To Survive a YouTube Account Hacker
This video is to help you learn how I was able to control the impact on my brand when someone hacked into my YouTube account and tried to ruin my brand by posting inappropriate content on my channel.
The quicker you are able to address and remove the content the faster you will be able to dilute any damage and stop the hacker in their tracks.
What I did to minimise the impact quickly
- Make sure you have a google alert on your
- personal name
- your business name
- the names of your products
- your children if they are online
- so that you can keep track of anything that is being said about you online.
- Make sure that you change your passwords regularly and use really strong passwords that include characters and numbers that makes it more difficult for your account to be hacked.
- Make sure that you let your social community know as soon as it happens because they can spread the word and let everyone one know what has happened.
- Delete any social traces of the content as quickly as possible so it does not appear in the search engines.
- Then contact the appropriate person [depending where you got hacked] to let them know what has happened so that they can address the breach of privacy and remove any trace of inappropriate content.
The sooner you address this the faster it will be gone.
I personally hope this never happens to any of you because it is not pleasant. But if you have a strategy in place to address this should it happen to you, the quicker you will dilute the damage and protect your brand and positioning.
What I did was use the same social strategies that he used to try and ruin my brand, to quickly get the message out that someone had hacked my account. If you have a good relationship with your community, like I have with mine, they will know immediately that it is not you or your content and let you know immediately that something is wrong.
Thank you to all the people who brought this to my attention allowing me to go into damage control quickly and implement these strategies so the impact was minor to none at all.